Thursday, April 14, 2011

Back to the mainland

Not a lot to report for today. Transferred from Jeju to Busan. Travel is travel, people still crowd the baggage claim carousel as if it will make theirbags arrive earlier. I had to fight my way through the crowd to claim the bags only to have a little old lady try to shove me out of the way despite our cases being the only bags in sight.

For once chivalry vanished as to yield meant the bags had to circulate again as we were near the return to behind the wall. I shoved back and stood my ground as much as I dare without setting her back on her backside. I'll leave it at that as I may have caught her shins as She tried to shove me out of the way again.....and I hope it left a bruise. It was worse than a boxing day sale.

The main activity of the day was to visit the Busan Cetrum City.

It purports itself to be the worlds largest department store...... and not a Marx Brother in sight. I continue not to be much impressed by department stores nowadays as they are leaning towards the model of having “labels” as mini-stores within the store.

This really makes for much repetition of items on display as each label seeks to compete with each other. The chance of finding something unusual, or that stands out is much harder. This type of store only appeals to one that is label conscious. Fortunately for the department store, at least half of Korea keeps them well in profit.

Speaking of “labels” and fashion. My Mother-In-Law was foeced to purchase a new refrigerator after her 40+yo fridge stopped working because "nothing is made to last anymore".

As a fridge is quiet essential in modern households, she was forced to make a new purchase before we had adequate time to shop for her in Korea. She had to rush out and buy the first white box in store.

A pity as we found the most wonderful Samsung refrigerator finnished in a non marking black and inlaid with Swarovski glass crystals cut like diamonds. Not only that, she could have had matching airconditioners and washers..........Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment